Ellesmere Green, Sheffield
Ellesmere Green and Spital Hill form part of the Sheffield Highway Network. Bernhard’s were employed by Sheffield City Council, novated to Amey plc via a term services agreement, to carry out hard and soft landscape improvement works to key open spaces within the two areas. The project cost was £150,000.
The main elements of the works were as follows:
- Construction of wetstone walling and steps.
- Creation of resin bound footpaths.
- Supply and installation of stainless steel railings.
- Supply and erection of bowtop railing.
- Provision of seating and litter bins.
- Installation of mosaic art features.
- Ornamental shrub planting.
- Supply and installation of footpath lighting.
Works at Spital Hill included stone work and step formation. Minor civils works involved the installation of ducting for lighting and drainage for surface water runoff.
Stonework and step formation was constructed adopting a landscaped rather than an engineered approach due to the need to adhere to the existing site levels and gradients. All stonework was carried out using a combination of direct operatives and specialist subcontractors.
Resin bound surfacing was laid onto new macadam surfaces and inlaid with mosaic art features. The scheme was complemented with timber benches, litter bins and ornamental planting.
The works were carried out within a live environment which meant that existing public rights of way had to be maintained. In addition it was important to provide constant security measures to prevent vandalism and theft.